Volunteer Telephone Counsellors
Hours of work: Varies
We are looking for Counsellors to help provide a valuable service to our vulnerable clients, to offer direction and support, especially during such an emotionally challenging time.
You will need to have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The successful candidate will also be friendly and professional, with outstanding people skills.
What are the benefits?
You will actively help clients develop their abilities to guide them through stressful situations and emotionally difficult times
Your will need to listen to clients and offer an invaluable level of support that enables them to feel able and assist them in developing effective strategies to improve their lives
What activities will I be involved in?
Telephone support for vulnerable clients, during COVID 19 lockdown. Then moving to face to face counselling once normal service resumes. With the possibility of remaining as a phone counsellor if the service requires.
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- Aptitude to empathize with clients and help them open up
- Good time management skill & impeccable reliability
- Knowledge of abuse, domestic abuse, victims of abuse, trauma
- Complete an initial session with clients, building a rapport and an initial trusting relationship. Signing and agreeing to a counsellor agreement which both you and your client will abide by.
- Create effective sessions with your client, which cater for all needs and continually assess the progress by use of PHQ-9 and GAD-7 assessment methods
- Work with your client and develop goals.
- Regularly discuss the progress with your line manager and identify issues or room for improvement.
- Educate appropriate coping mechanisms to help patients through tough situations.
- Instigate ethical referrals when needed.
- To have a second language
- Previous experience of phone counselling
- BACP Membership
Location: The Haven, Wolverhampton
Training: Volunteers will be expected to complete the following training:
- Domestic Abuse Awareness (one-day course)
- Safeguarding Adults and Children
Responsible to: Therapeutic Wellbeing Coordinator
Expenses: The Haven offers reimbursement of travel expenses
Due to the nature of our work, Schedule 9 (1) of the Equality Act 2010 applies therefore applications from women only will be considered.
Under the Care Standards Act 2000, all roles are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
If you interested in this voluntary role, download the application form and follow the instructions to complete it. Once completed, please send it via email to the email address stated on the form.