Hours of work: Full time, Monday – Friday, 37.5 Hours
The Haven Wolverhampton offers a 24-hour domestic abuse helpline for vulnerable women and children in need of advice or support. Our helpline offers women the opportunity to speak anonymously and in complete confidence.
The helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is operated by trained staff and volunteers. Volunteers provide telephone support, assistance and information to all callers.
To maintain the database (referrals & record of calls).
What are the benefits?
- Become part of a friendly, diverse and dedicated team
- Gain experience in a Helpline setting
- Access training in Domestic Abuse Awareness and related issues
- Develop key employability skills
- Support vulnerable women and children
What activities will I be involved in?
- Answer Helpline calls, responding to women and children experiencing domestic abuse & Homelessness.
- Assess each call and ensure that information given to each caller is appropriate and to the highest standard.
- Signpost to, and liaise with, relevant agencies if the needs of the caller cannot be met by The Haven Wolverhampton.
- Complete referral forms & risk assessments
- Carry out face-to-face meeting with clients who do not wish to disclose over the telephone.
- Input accurate information about calls into The Haven database.
- Carry out administration duties such as filing, email, data entry
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
- High level of communication skills (listening & verbal).
- Ability to react sensitively to a wide range of callers who may be in distress.
- Possess a non-judgemental and open-minded attitude.
- To record accurately what has been said (written ability).
- Ability to adhere to relevant policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Commitment to support vulnerable women and children
Location: The Haven, Wolverhampton
Hours: Full time, Monday – Friday, 37.5 Hours
Training: Volunteers will be expected to complete the following training:
- Domestic Abuse Awareness (one-day course)
- Safeguarding Adults and Children
- Helpline training (half-day course)
Responsible to: Helpline Team Manager
Expenses: The Haven offers reimbursement of travel expenses
Due to the nature of our work, Schedule 9 (1) of the Equality Act 2010 applies therefore applications from women only will be considered.
Under the Care Standards Act 2000, all roles are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
If you interested in this voluntary role, download the application form and follow the instructions to complete it. Once completed, please send it via email to the email address stated on the form.