Children & Young People Therapeutic Volunteer
Hours of work: Minimum 4 hours per week, flexible
To support The Haven Children’s and Young Persons (CYP) service to ensure that that services offered to Children and Young People (CYP) are of a high standard and meet the needs of CYP.
You will organize and take part in activities for CYP in refuge accommodation and across the community.
You will complete 1-1 therapeutic work with CYP that are both within refuge and community that have behavioural and emotional needs.
You will ensure safeguarding policies and procedures are followed at all times, and ensure that the wellbeing of CYP is at the forefront of all work carried out.
What are the benefits?
- You have an interest in working with The Haven Wolverhampton and would like the opportunity to learn new skills.
- You would like to share your existing skills and experience to benefit the organisations service provision to women and children.
- Certificate of achievements
- Reference letter upon completion of volunteering
- Work experience to add to your CV
- Access to guided support from The Haven team
- Become part of an established Volunteer Service which enables volunteer pathways to be progressing in education, training or paid work.
What activities will I be involved in?
- To understand CYP safeguarding and the importance of early intervention
- To support the CYP role across The Haven Wolverhampton to improve the involvement of women and children in their work
- To identify good quality therapeutic resources to support children’s emotional development and well-being during group sessions
- Provide one to one individual therapeutic sessions and group sessions as identified in The Haven’s Work plan and Child and Young Persons Individual Support Plans
- Work with external agencies to ensure Child and Young Person’s overall well-being and individual development is of a high standard
- Provide a wide range of therapeutic sessions and tailored interventions that is designed for various age groups within our refuge accommodation and across the community
- To maintain a safe, healthy and child friendly environment for Children and Young People within The Haven’s services
- Deliver wishes and feeling session in across services to meet the needs of Young People referred from community or external services
- Set up Children and Young People Focus group as a vehicle for Children and Young People surviving domestic violence to become empowered and their voices heard
- Design basic therapeutic sessions for mom and child to learn together outside of planned therapeutic sessions.
- Support with any concerns whether physical, emotional, educational or developmental that mom may have.
- To be committed to the principles of Equal Opportunities and anti-discriminatory practices and to work within a multicultural client group
- To maintain confidentiality within the boundaries of existing policy, maintain confidentiality and adhere to GDPR guidelines
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
- Experience of working directly with children
- Working towards a relevant and recognised Level 3 qualification
- A person-centred approach to supporting women and children
- An awareness of issues affecting survivors of domestic abuse
- Experience of designing and facilitating activities in a creative manner
- Experience of engaging CYP in improving service delivery
- Experience of working independently, organising and prioritising own workload
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as a team
- Experience of setting up and managing new activities/projects
Location: The Haven, Wolverhampton
Hours: Minimum 4 hours per week, flexible
Training: Volunteers will be expected to complete the following training:
- Domestic Abuse Awareness (one-day course)
- Safeguarding Adults and Children
Responsible to: CYP Training Manager
Expenses: The Haven offers reimbursement of travel expenses
Due to the nature of our work, Schedule 9 (1) of the Equality Act 2010 applies therefore applications from women only will be considered.
Under the Care Standards Act 2000, all roles are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
If you interested in this voluntary role, download the application form and follow the instructions to complete it. Once completed, please send it via email to the email address stated on the form.