Role: Domestic Abuse Support & Helpline Worker
Grade/Pay Scale: £19,760 per annum (Living Wage Employer)
Hours of work: Full Time – 40 hours per week – Every employee is advised that their employment continues only as long as The Haven Wolverhampton remains able to fund it.
Line Manager: Refuge Senior
- To support the work carried out by Domestic Abuse Key Workers but providing night time support to women and their children who are living in Refuge Accommodation as a result of experiencing domestic violence, abuse and homelessness.
- The key requirement is to ensure that you provide safety and security for the well-being of the client group.
- To ensure required health and safety checks are completed and any faults and repairs reported as per procedure.
- Ensuring any rooms to be let out across refuge are clean, free from damage and of a high standard.
- To take helpline calls and provide a sensitive listening service to women over the telephone and online live chat.
- To support callers by talking through their experiences and providing safety options
- To complete referrals and admissions process as required out of hours.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure the safety and security on the women and their children, building, grounds and property whilst on duty
- To carry out regular health and safety room checks in refuge accommodation, identifying repairs or damage and reporting as per procedure.
- To ensure rooms to be let out across all refuge locations are clean, and ready for admissions
- To ensure that women and children admitted to The Haven are made to feel welcome safe and comfortable. Assisting where necessary to moving belongings and the family into their allocated room.
- To ensure new arrivals are shown around the premises, settled into accommodation, provided with welcome packs, informed of all service and sign documentation and that staff are available to answer any queries or to deal with concerns.
- Maintain an overall knowledge of all women (and their children) in Refuge and update on individual circumstances regularly ensuring you keep abreast of issues likely to affect the wellbeing on clients.
- To ensure that any issues in relation to Safeguarding are brought to the urgent attention of Specialist Case Manager and dealt with in line with The Haven’s Safeguarding policies and procedures.
- To communicate with Manager regarding any breaches of security, house rules or licence agreements especially where there is a concern about safety.
- Receive relevant information during handover.
- To ensure all relevant support hours are clearly and correctly recorded on to The Haven’s database Paloma.
- Carry out routine tours of the buildings at irregular times and patterns.
- Be aware of the specific safety and security needs of the clients and property during walk rounds, ensuring residents comply with their licence agreements and ensure that the building is maintained to a high standard whilst observing The Haven’s Health & Safety Policies.
- Check that all electrical appliances is communal areas are unplugged as appropriate
- Pass on all relevant information to duty staff at the end of shift handover.
- Ensure that the women understand and comply with Service User Agreement and the terms of their occupancy agreements.
- To work in an interactive way by having regular family contact in the living areas where appropriate.
- To ensure all rooms can be accessed by residents and replacement keys/locks be provided where necessary.
- Calling ‘Approved’ contractors out of deal with emergency repairs to maintain the security and safety of the building.
- To carry out any other duties that may be required and are appropriate to the post, including administrative work.
General Duties & Responsibilities
- To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as maybe reasonably required, and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job.
- To have personal responsibility for maintaining personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job and The Haven, by undertaking appropriate training and development activities. This includes encouraging and supporting staff and managers in their training and development.
- To undertake any health and safety training and related activities such as First Aid, Fire Marshall, Duty Hold, Health & Safety representative etc. as required for the post and as required by The Haven Wolverhampton to ensure their Health & Safety Policy is implemented effectively.
- To ensure equality of opportunity both in service provision and employment, having regard to the needs of the diverse communities we serve.
- To act in accordance with the organisations standing orders, financial regulations and financial procedures.
- To supervise and support volunteers and placement as required.
- To comply with legislation and The Haven’s policies including Confidentiality, Information Sharing, Data Protection, Computer Security, Safeguarding vulnerable adults and children, and Human Rights.
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the grading of the post subject to reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act.
- To support refuge staff in ensuring the well-being of residents and their children working directly with our client group, including working within the hostels if required using the skills associated with the job.
- The duties of the post may change and develop from time to time in the light of new legislation, The Haven’s Policies, organisational development and social trends. Such development will be monitored in conjunction with the Chief Executive and will be reflected as necessary in the aims and objectives of the post.
- Support across different refuge locations as required.
Special Conditions: (if applicable e.g. unsociable hours, extensive travel etc.)
Able to work unsociable hours on occasions if required to undertake internal Haven activities or external continued professional development activities.
- Experience of working within a women’s refuge setting
- Experience of managing premises and facilities management
- Experience of working within a women’s refuge setting.
- Experience of taking and answering helpline calls
- Experience of working within the voluntary/charitable sector.
Knowledge & Understanding:
- Understanding the needs of victims of domestic violence.
- Understanding of safeguarding associated with working in an environment with those affected by Violence and Abuse.
- Understanding importance of H&S matters with regards to refuge
- Understanding of needs of women calling crisis helpline and how to manage helpline calls sensitively
- Knowledge of the voluntary / charitable sector
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually to help meet needs of families in refuge
- Excellent communication skills include written, verbal and listening when taking helpline calls and managing handovers
- IT literacy and working knowledge of Microsoft Office or equivalent.
- Ability to establish effectively working relationships with colleagues including admissions team.
- Excellent analytical skills/problem solving skills when taking calls
- Ability to work under pressure and potentially volatile environment
- The ability to speak one or more of the community languages of Wolverhampton
Qualifications & Training:
- Training / Qualification Working with Survivors of Domestic Violence or equivalent
- Safeguarding Qualification
- Evidence of Continuous Development ie Annual Safeguarding Training
- Helpline call training
- Level 3 Qualification in Working with Survivors of Domestic Violence or equivalent
Other special requirements:
- Able to work unsociable hours on occasions if required to undertake internal Haven activities or external continued professional development activities
- Be committed to the aims and objectives of The Haven Wolverhampton in supporting women and any dependent children who are homeless through reasons such as domestic violence.
Closing Date: 10th September 2021
Under the Care Standards Act 2000; all posts are subject to Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Due to the nature of our work Schedule 9 (1) of the Equality Act 2010 applies, therefore applications from women only will be considered. The Haven Wolverhampton is an equal opportunities employer.
This project receives financial support from Wolverhampton City Council.
Registered Charity No. 10654
To apply for this role, please download the application pack below. Follow the instructions to complete it. Once completed, please send it to the email address stated in the pack. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application pack or send an A4 self-addressed envelope with 95p postage stating the job title to: The Haven Wolverhampton, 18 Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton, WV1 4BL.